The Keto Diet. It’s not necessarily a ‘new’ diet, but it’s buzzworthy enough to have thousands and thousands of comments on Reddit.
So, what is the keto diet? In a nutshell, the keto diet is a macro-focused diet in which you eat very high fat (60-75%), moderate protein (15-20%) and very low carbohydrate content (5-10%).
The goal of the diet is to force your body into a state of “ketosis” where your body switches from using carbohydrates as its preferred energy source to using fats. Many people have reported extremely high weight loss and significantly-improved energy after a couple weeks on the keto diet.
However, the diet is not for everyone. Many people also report “keto flu” or withdrawal-like symptoms from the low-carb intake, constipation, diarrhea, and moodiness.
You can learn more about the diet here.
You should always consult with your doctor before beginning a new diet. If you’re looking to reduce the amount of carbs you eat on a daily basis, these keto-inspired recipes are sure to leave you feeling full and satisfied – without the carb-guilt.
- Fathead Crackers– These low-carb, cheesy crackers are perfect for dipping in your favorite guacamole recipe, or if you’re just looking for a salty-fix.
- Keto Everything Bagels– You don’t have to give up your morning bagel with this keto-friendly bagel recipe. Simply add your favorite seasonings, and spread on some healthy, high-fat cream cheese for a breakfast that’s sure to leave you feeling full until noon.
- Cauliflower Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwiches– Get all the comfort of a grilled cheese sandwich with almost no carbs.
- Keto Chocolate Mug Cake– Have your cake and eat it too with this moist and delicious (and easy) cake in a mug recipe
- Your Favorite Pizza– Toss your favorite toppings onto this carb-less pizza crust for a guilt-free indulgence.
- Herbed Chicken and Mushrooms– Take your dinner to the next level with this carb-less, delicious meal
- Vegetarian Loaded Potato Skins: Vegetarians can try keto as well with this loaded potato skin substitution using zucchini for a low-carb alternative.
- Creamy Beef Casserole: Cauliflower rice gives this meaty-dish substance and balance between carbs and comfort.
With so many ‘fad’ diets out there, it can be difficult to keep track. What’s the best diet? Well, the truth is, that the ‘best’ diet for you is probably different than the best diet for someone else.
Whether you’re on a diet to lose weight, gain muscle, boost energy, or help treat a medical condition, the important thing to remember is to listen to your body. Eat something, and pay attention to how it makes you feel. Keeping a food calendar or tracking your diet can help you identify trends.